Saturday, January 22, 2005

Just Get Out There.

SATURDAY EVENING, 22/1/05- 5K

I'd planned to do this week's Bay Run TT today, but when I woke up (around 10am- was out late and had a couple of drinks) I'd developed some sort of ear infection and as a result had a pounding headache.

I kept waiting throughout the day- mostly reading, dozing and watching the tennis- hoping that the pain would die away and I could do my planned workout, but it never happened (got worse actually), so around 8pm I just got out for a 30 minute jog- 15 minutes out, turnaround, 15 minutes back. I didn't have the GPS but was only jogging easily, so I'm assuming around 6min/km.

Coolish- around 21 degrees- but uncomfortably humid (95%)- there was a little drizzle at the start, some lightning around and I was dripping with sweat within seven or eight minutes and hence took off my singlet to cool off a bit. Every time my foot hit the ground, the pounding in my head seemed to indicate my skull was actually affixed to the sole of my shoe and was being thumped into the footpath. Not good.

I didn't get anything concrete out of this run, but it was the kind of humbling experience that this sport seems to serve up every now and then. I've come to the conclusion that long distance running- especially the ultras- is an intrinsically humbling experience or lifestyle. It requires years of dedication to build the sort of base fitness required and in that time there are plenty of bad days and bad races that prevent those involved from getting big egoes. I've met plenty of high acheivers in ultra and there is a distinct lack of big heads, even for those who have running CVs that would deserve being shouted from a loudspeaker in the middle of Martin Place. They may be self confident, and indicate (when asked the right questions) that they've given their preparation (and their opponents) a great deal of thought, but not too much self aggrandisement.

Ahh, too much rambling. Let's just describe tonight's shuffle as a "mental health run".

I'm off. If I feel all right when I get up, I'll run with the Striders at Balmain....

2 Comments:

Blogger Horrie said...

You were missed this morning G Man. I hope Spud goes easy on you.

1:59 pm  
Blogger Spud said...

Jeez mate, not good enough, just take 2 ibuprofen and get thee out there man.
Seriously, you missed a good ole slosh fest this morning. It pissed down big time! As we were overtaken by Luke Skyrunner, ankle deep in stormwater, he commented "good training for 6 foot"

Take it easy mate, catch u out there.

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home