Friday, January 07, 2005

Bugger.

FRIDAY MORNING, 7/1/05- 8K

Dirty Harry famously said "a man's got to know his limitations", and, after this morning's shocking effort at 5 x 1K reps with Vat and Action, I suppose I've got to face up to mine.

After a 4km warm up, we got down to business at Timbrell Park. I opened up with a reasonably promising 3.50, but after that it went to shit.

3.50
3.53
3.56
4.09

so I stopped after that fourth rep, the big blowout. Even before he saw my watch Vat commented "that last 400m looked really ugly..."

So, what does this tell me? Confirms what I've suspected for the last week but wouldn't admit- the blowouts at the end of hard sessions, the need to walk steep hills after running a while, the distrupted sleep (only 3 hours last night, again) all point to my body still not recovered from Coast-Kosci. I allow three weeks to recover from a 100 miler, but, as I say to others, when you step up to a new distance, recovery from the first such race is always the worst, so I was probably optimistic in giving myself three weeks recovery after my first 150 miler. Probably should have been five or six weeks, but I have a tight timetable and, well, an obsessive personality that just doesn't handle particularly well the concept of taking things easy.

So, I'm going to cut back for a couple of weeks. Alternate walking days with running days, just so I'm still burning calories and assuaging my guilt somewhat. Take a few days totally off. I'm mentally fresh and eager to return to the fray but not physically up for the task, but, who said life was easy, eh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

Mister G, I'm really commenting about 'Filler'. I had the same problem at the park. A 3:25 km near Caravan Park hill - wow! The rest wasn't too bad. Don't forget bordercolor of the table for ie users! Just do easy runs and 'easy intervals' until you're feeling better. Don't push the pace.

10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home