Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Hills With A Difference.

MONDAY EVENING, 10/1/05- 8K

Walked 8K with 2K of that being form drills up at the Macquarie Uni Sports Fields. Trying to construct a longer, smoother stride and make some postural improvements, rather than the stuttery, short-striding form I have at the moment with no knee lift and no back kick. The 400s and other short, fast intervals are good for this sort of thing as well- I've noticed some substantial differences with my arm carriage, for example- I drive a lot more with the elbows rather than the wrists compared to a few months ago, and the arms are closer into the body.

Glutes were a bit sore from Saturday's walking, but they felt okay when I got up Tuesday morning.

TUESDAY MORNING, 11/1/05- 9.5K

A "Pat Carroll special" courtesy of Mister Jackson. 20 minutes of 30 second hills with jog down as recovery. I did this at Lilyfield Rd where the usual hill repeats squad does its stuff. Where they would start at the "zero" marker and charge 300m to the top of the hill, I started at the "50 metre" marker so I didn't have any flat, ran 30 seconds all out, noted where I stopped, and tried to beat that distance. I ended up doing about 15 reps, mostly in the range 120-130m according to the GPS- the longest was 139m.

Funny workout- I suppose like the 30/30 session on the flat, it can be a bit disheartening at the halfway point, but it's a quick session so doesn't smash you for hours afterwards, as a "standard" Lilyfield Rd hill session would do.

Felt pretty good- first time since Christmas that I didn't start the run feeling tired. But I won't count my chickens yet- until at least after the SMC 10K this Sunday.

Great conditions. 15 C, clear, not too humid. The last few weeks of summer in Sydney have been mostly clear (in contrast to the misty days we had for the few weeks before that) but cooler than recent summers in Sydney- apparently the high pressure systems over SE Australia of late have been weaker than usual, according to a recent discussion on Weatherzone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you meet Stu Mac from Melbourne!

Stu Mac

11:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home