Monday, January 17, 2005

SMC 10K- Very, Very Bad.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON, 15/1/05- 13K

Slept in till midday.

Walked 13K including some drills. Humid and stormy weather.

SUNDAY MORNING, 16/1/05- 10K

Only three hours sleep.

Went to Smithfield for the SMC 10K. I was thinking I'd come close to my PB given the workouts of the last few days, although the weather wasn't the best- 23 C and 91% humidity.

Horrie told me he was going to aim for sub 42 so I followed him through 2K in 8.19- on pace to match my PB. I'd had to turn off my GPS as his was interfering with mine. I started to fade a bit before the first aid station- actually, the first km felt too fast for me (4.09) so I kind of knew early on that I wasn't in for a great day. After Horrie left me behind it was a pretty lonely run- I passed one guy on the long uphill heading out and was passed int he last 500m of the race- otherwise I was totally by myself.

Reached the turnaround in a bit over 21 minutes. I never drank from the aid stations but did tip water from each over my head to cool off. My feet were squelching in sweat not long after the turnaround.

Reached the 7.5K aid station still thinking a 42 was possible. I tipped water on myself again and flicked the cup one handed at the aid station guy. He didn't have to move his hands at all to catch the cup and complimented me on my throw. Ricky Ponting move over. Highlight of my run.

After that I folded pretty badly. Heard someone come up behind me in the last 500m and didn't care about it, as long as it wasn't Spud- thankfully it wasn't. Finished in 43.55- slower than last month, and this time didn't have Coast-Kosci as an excuse.

I was gutted. Still am. Never thought I'd go over 42. No idea why I ran so bad, although Stephen pointed out that big guys like me tend to be affected by the humidity worse than others. There were some good runs regardless of the conditions. Funny thing was, form-wise I felt it was a quite good run- just didn;t go fast.

I'm running out of time to be in shape for Gold Coast.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON, 16/1/05- 6K

Went home, had an early lunch and slept for four hours. Work up with a headache and went to Mum's. Did 6km on a bike path at easyish pace to loosen the legs and butrn extra calories. Instead, today (Monday) my legs are quite trashed. Not good.

TOTAL FOR THE WEEK- 79.5K

I know I'm better than my SMC time indicates so I'm going to continue this week as the last one. Mix in a fair bit of walking just to ensure I'm fresh. Might start jacking up the running, rather than walking, the following week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spud said...

Hey another km and I'd of caught you big fella. ;-)
Don't sweat it, yesterday's result was definitely not indicative of your ability over the distance. Get ready for the next one at Nepean, under better conditions you'll beat 42 mins. Heck I might even give it a crack myself. Catch ya.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

You're being too hard on yourself Sean. It was very hard going in the conditions out there. And as the field is so strung out, it was very hard work to keep the pace consistent. Another week and a half and hopefully better conditions and you will run a lot better on Australia Day. Just take it one day at a time.

12:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home