Friday, March 04, 2005

Outback Mystery.

This blog comes from tropical Cairns.....

WEDNESDAY 2/3/05, 10PM- 6K

Flew in before dinner and it took some time to get organised. Finally got out for a run on Palm Cove beach (barefoot) late at night with the headlamp. Found the going very unpleasant- nowhere near as good as the running on Merimbula Beach last October. Went out for 3K before giving up and running back. Blinding speed on the sand- 6.40min/km.

THURSDAY 3/3/05, 9PM- 11.%K

This is the really weird one.

Slept in, spent the day around Cairns, finally got out for a run at 9pm. I was down for 1K/500m x 3 @ 1 minute recoveries; and spent the first 5K of my run warming up by looking for a stretch of road that was lit and over 1K long in Palm Cove. No luck so I used the bike lane on Cedar Drive, which has a noticeable but not severe slope, doing the 1Ks as 500m out and back to nullify any gain or disadvantage in doing the full distance uphill or downhill. I set the Garmin's distance alert for 500m and for the 1K reps turned around at the first warning and hit stop at the second; for the 500m reps just hit stop at the first warning.

It was still 26C and 74% humidity when I began and I felt like I was moving fairly well....

3.47
1.50 (downhill)
3.40 (!)
1.47 (uphill)
3.39 (!!)
1.47 (downhill)

Those last two 1K reps are waaaayyyy quicker than anything I've run lately for that distance, and can't be explained away by gradient as all the 1K reps were half uphill, half downhill. I noticed I seemed to be shuttling back and forth between two streetlights, so as part of my warmdown I walked the distance between these posts twice, on the opposite side of the road to the one I was doing my reps on in case the GPS was confused by roadside trees or something. The first measurement was 498m, the second 503m. So it seemed the distance was accurate, but I am still skeptical that I ran that quick based on recent form.

Any explanations? Is the Garmin wrong, have I suddenly hit good form, or do I file this one under "weird workouts"?

1 Comments:

Blogger Clairie said...

It is natural to be good at things when you are residing in Queensland!

Obviously your move from NSW to QLD has done wonders to your form.

Sorry to say it all goes back to crap when you leave though............ :BIGGRIN:

11:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home