Monday, November 29, 2004

Back to *THE* Track.

SUNDAY MORNING, 28/11/04

Another date with the 6FT- a full length training run in the company of Dawn Tiller, Phil Hugill, Vat, Sarge and Blue Dog.

It was a bloody hot day- looking at the weather stations in the tablelands, we probably did the last 12km or so in about 32 C heat. At the Coxs River I thoroughly enjoyed a quick swim which helped cool me off, albeit briefly....

Sarge and Blue Dog only went to the Coxs River then turned around (as they intended) whilst Dawn and Phil charged off like their pants were on fire, so it was the old team, Vat and I, most of the way.
Kevin Tiller VERY generously gave up his day to crew for us (he and his madcap kids). Thanks Kev! A thumbs up to Vat also for giving me a lift up and tolerating my taste in music...

We got to the top of Pluvi about 5-10 minutes quicker than last month- less timewasting- and paused to reflect on how we'd reached this spot in the wilderness under our own power. A subtle testimony to the excellence of trail running.

Out along the Black Range and Vat didn't look too good, but I was gradually getting stronger. Kev joined us for the last couple of km running before Deviation, during which we passed Phil who had thoroughly blown up, and got to Deviation where Dawn had stopped 45 minutes earlier to mind the kids so Kev could go for a quick run. Phil decided to stop here so Vat, Dawn and I set off for the last 11km in ever worsening heat. I wanted to see if we could beat last month's time of 6.05 but it looked pretty marginal.

Vat had a tumble and was further slowed by nausea, whilst Dawn was battling stitch, so I found myself running alone, or rather trudging. I just wanted it to be over so I could get into some air conditioned shade at Caves House. Got to the top of the last big downhill and thought "if I do three 4min/kms down this hill, I'll run a 6.04". Alas, the heat and the treacherous footing meant I ended up getting another 6.05!

I stripped down to shorts only and got a milkshake which hit the spot wonderfully. Dawn came in about 10 minutes after me (but over half an hour faster on actual time), and Vat battled in after 6.40 not looking too good. Not that this was competitive....

After some recuperation, we all piled into Kev's people mover and got going back to Katoomba. I ended up spending the evening at a party and scoffing every protein-rich munchie I could find....

MONDAY MORNING, 29/11/04

Another hot morning. Ran in from W. Ryde- 6km- slowly. Tired and sunburnt but no physical damage. I don't think this took as much out of me as last month's 6FT run, and anyway I'm used to doing long stuff on weekends and then backing up.
Gym later today, hills tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home