Saturday, November 27, 2004

5K Bay Run Challenge

SATURDAY MORNING, 27/11/04

Down to the Bay Run at 7am for the Coolrunning 5K Challenge round the Bay Run. I did 19.43- breaing the elusive 20 minute barrier, although it was horribly unevenly paced and I died a bit in the last km particularly. Big, big turnout- well over 30 runners for an unofficial run organised through a website!

Amongst the "20 minute" handicap group there was some talk of going through the first 3K averaging 3.55min/km... so when I hit the first km in 3.37 with at least half a dozen "20 minuters" in front of me (Ray, KT, MikeF etc) I said out loud "oh shit" anticipating a horrible blowup and missing the sub 20 mark.

However, I managed to hold with gnscon till about 3K when he faded a bit and from there it wasn't psycholgically too bad- I knew there was only a few minutes to go and I was still averaging about 3.50min/km so I'd have had to REALLY fall apart after that to miss sub 20.

Leftie zoomed past me at high speed in the last km as my form started to fade somewhat (not that it would have mattered!) and Don Juan- another "20 minuter" who'd paced himself a bit better than I- caught me right on the finish line, although he'd had a fairly long warmup....

We finished the Bay Run was recovery, so 9km running all up. Swam a km in 24 minutes in the pool at work afterwards as recovery.

So, even though I knew I could have done better with a properly paced run, I'm very happy to break 20 when I was unsure I could do it. Tomorrow is another 6FT training run with Vat and co, and the Sunday after that is the Central Coast Half. Vat is talking about setting up a "sub 90" pace group. Hmm, not sure I'm that good yet.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home