Sunday, April 30, 2006

Triple Crown Training, Day One.

SATURDAY 29/4/06, 8AM, 9K, WEEK TO DATE 41K

To Pitt Park on a cool morning and not feeling too sharp. I wanted to do 2 x 2K. Did a 2K warmup on the track, and creaked through 6 x 100m strides, then into the session. I was heaving for breath right away, and considerably off the pace I set on Tuesday. Passed 1K in 4.03 and fading with each lap, so stopped and slowly jogged back to the start. Two more attempts saw me do a slow 800m, then a slow 400m.

I did another 6 x 100m (might as well salvage something from the session) and did another 2K as warmdown.

Not sure what was going on there. Haven't slept much the previous few nights and have been generally stressed lately.

SUNDAY 30/4/06, 12PM, 32K, WEEKLY TOTAL 73K

A long run from home along Mt Hay Rd. This is a dirt road that stretches north from Leura to the edge of the Grose Valley, rolling up and down, but overall downhill heading out (and uphill on the way back...). No water en route, so I took a Camelbak with 3 litres of water and some munchies, feeling the extra weight from the first steps.

It was cloudy and 14 degrees, with rain threatening- got some light rain on the way back. I just chugged along, dealing with the hills best I could, making a diversion to the top of a plateau named Flat Top on the way out and on the way back- view from the top are excellent, with views of both Mt Hay, Mt Banks and the hills along the Bells Line of Road, and swamps and moorland on either side of the road.

I turned around at 16K and came back, with the wheels falling off at about 24K and I had to shuffle in at over 6min/km from there, with a couple of uphill walks. Got home in about 3 hrs 15 running time.

This run and the 32K I did in Brisbane the other day show that my endurance is sorely lacking at the moment- I'm okay on a run of up to 90 minutes, but after that... things get bad.

From now on I need to get serious about the long stuff again. From home to the top of Mt Hay return, with diversions to Flat Top on the way out and back, is pretty much spot on marathon distance. I need to do something like that every weekend from now on.

It's been getting a bit lonely, missing out on all the ultra stuff because the GLandular Fever sapped my fitness so much. I miss it, and sometimes you wonder if you'll ever get back.

5 Comments:

Blogger Spud said...

Great to see you're back out there G,
Suggestion, drop the speedwork in favour of building your endurance base again.
I don't believe you are doing yourself any favours thrashing yourself with fast reps?

Besides I need my regular sparring partner back out there with me and fighting fit.

11:42 am  
Blogger 2P said...

You will look good in a tiara ;-)

There use to be a water tank just before the Lockley Pylon Track junction - supurb views over the Grose Valley from there too if you ever decide to make that diversion.

Just like big Arnie - you'll be back!

12:54 pm  
Blogger Cirque said...

You will get back to where you were Mr G. It might seem like a long, hard challenge but once you get over the GF you will pick up very quickly. Good luck.

2:12 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

You will. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

8:03 pm  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

I'm sure that you & the ultras will be back together soon!

Have fun in training!


Stu

5:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home