Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Striders Lane Cove 10K.

SATURDAY 4/2/06, 7AM, 12.5K, WEEKLY TOTAL 40K, 5 HOURS SLEEP, SHOES: ASICS 1100s

To Lane Cove National Park for the opening Striders 10K of the year.

Hadn't felt good all week and had some recurrence of Glandular Fever symptoms in the previous few days- night sweats, rough sleep, lack of appetite etc. In my warmup I felt pretty ordinary at first, but was moving reasonably well once I got a sweat up.

The opening kilometre was very slow by usual standards- 4.31. I was runnign with Amjan and FPT but they gradually pulled away. 2K split was 4.28, then 3K (Scribbly Gum hill) was about 5 minutes, and then the whole field proceeded to move past me as my legs died- quads and calves had nothing. Funnily enough I was never really breathing hard in this race- just no energy or strength.

Finally got to the finish in a very dispiriting 46.47. I was buggered- pretty much spent the rest of the weekend in bed, got up around 4pm on Sunday.

This race was fairly crushing mentally. My Glandular Fever has a rough pattern of stretches of several "good days" (sometimes a week or more) where I'm reasonably functional in day to day life and I can run well enough to indicate I'm actually in reasonable shape; then there are stretches of "bad days" where things are buggered. Problem is, I can't really control when the bad periods come. Or go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home