Monday, September 05, 2005

Striders North Head 10K.

SATURDAY 3/9/05, 11K (1K warmup, 10K race), WEEKLY TOTAL 39.5K, 5 HOURS SLEEP

To North Head, scene of my big 10K PB in May, but this time not expecting much, something to do with bugger all speedwork for a while.

Only had time for a perfunctory warmup, first time for quite a while that I've done a race wearing Striders colours (apart from the cap). Cool, but no wind.

The first 2K I felt quite good, going through 2K in just under 8 minutes. I could see Suzanne Kelly and Podrunner just up ahead and knew they'd be good for a sub 40, which I wasn't going to do today, but thought I'd keep pushing hard and see how long I could hold it together.

Not that long, as I slowly started to fade and Seagull, Prof, Charles C, Dean G and Keith "the Legend" all went past. Did manage to hold off Rocket Rod after a bit of a duel in seeing who could blow up the least, and came in in 42.00 by my watch, 1 second slower officially. Really struggled on that last uphill between 8 and 9K.

Splits:

1K 3.57
2K 4.01 (7.59)
3K 4.09 (12.08)
4K 4.10 (16.19)
5K 4.10 (halfway 20.29)
6K 4.19 (24.49)
7K 4.24 (29.13)
8K 4.18 (33.32)
9K 4.29 (38.01)
10K 3.59 (42.00)

Good PBs by MPHaz, The Guz, Blue Dog, Prof etc.

I suppose I had no right to expect anything better given lack of quality work in the last couple of months- racing a big ultra every month tends to really stuff up your ability to do any intensity. And my ability to run 10K fast on the road has little bearing with how I'll run 100 miles of bush next weekend. However, I did feel a bit disengaged at breakfast after the race, with everyone talking about how they ran and I reflected quietly on how my short distance times have gone backwards since that heady PB in May and how the sub 40 10K is most likely out of reach this year.

Oh well. 100 miles this Saturday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog!

I have a joint pain relief site. It pretty much covers joint pain relief related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

9:12 am  
Blogger Dave said...

A good hit out regardless, especially wedged in between 12 foot and glasshouse.

This weekend is what you have been aiming for, you've prepared well judging on how 12 ft went. That 10km caper might be a good distraction once you've knocked over some of these long distance runs that are coming up.

12:07 pm  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

OMG 100 miles, Sean I know you know this already but who cares how fast you can run 10k, you can run 100 miles, never in my wildest dreams.

All the best!

11:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home