Tuesday, August 30, 2005

August 5K Challenge, Horned One, Etc.

FRIDAY 26/8/05, 5.15PM, 11.5K (54.30, 4.44min/km), WEEK TO DATE 59K, 6 HOURS SLEEP

As with the Thursday run, I took advantage of the longer daylight now to sneak in a lap of LCNP after work. Started out feeling tired, but as I warmed into it I started moving really well and finished it moving quite quickly but not feeling like I was working hard. Saw Jim, Ivan and one or two others down there.

SATURDAY 27/8/05, 6.30AM, 13K, WEEKLY TOTAL 72K, 5 HOURS SLEEP

Real contrast to the day before, I got up feeling tired and slipped out to run to the start of the monthly 5K Challenge on the Bay Run. Arrived feeling like I still had yet to warm up and not really wanting to be there. I followed O Runner through the first kilometre in 3.50 and I was really working hard- heart rate and breathing were unuusally high for this pace. Went through 2K with a 4.01 split then half blew up, half decided I really didn't care, and jogged it in in 21.30 odd, by far my worst 5K ever, and a real come down after my excellent 12 Foot Track.

Spent the rest of the weekend helping shift furniture. Took Sunday off as I figured I could do with the rest and Glasshouse is less than a fortnight away.

MONDAY 29/8/05, 5.30PM, 6K (29.19, 4.48min/km), 6 HOURS SLEEP

Office->Waterloo Park and back. Moving well but felt tired on all uphills. Still sore through my groin and lower stomach and also a bit in my left hamstring, so Tuesday morning I visited the Horned One, who diagnosed I was still suffering some hip problems- a legacy of the 100K in June (which is where my groin pain started, but it is much worse now than it was then). He made some comments about the lack of variation in the terrain of such an event, and the fact that all laps were run in the same direction didn't help my hip either. Some acupuncture, joint cracking, twisting and I was on my way, but I suspect I'll be back in a few days for another treatment before Glasshouse.

I don't think the sub 40 10K will happen this year. The demands of training for 100 milers etc have meant I'm doing very long runs too frequently to get a good base of speedwork in- you lose a couple of weeks of possible speedwork recovering from each "training ultra". So therefore, Stu Mac and O Runner- the race for sub 40 is now between you gents.

1 Comments:

Blogger miners said...

Probably a good idea to not worry about the 40 mins for the next month or so at least G. GH is way more important in any regard, and I can imagine how much the mileage would be stuffing up the speedwork.

Besides, it's often when you forget about striving for something, that the forgotten goal sometimes gets realised. You never know what might happen at the Striders 10k in Oct ;)

5:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home