Sunday, June 05, 2005

LCNP 10K and Davidson STaR.

SATURDAY 4/6/05, 7AM, 13K (3K warmup and 10K race), WEEK TO DATE 83.5K, 4.5 HOURS SLEEP

Sigh... my second fastest 10K ever, but after last month's 40.25, I was primed today for a shot at sub 40. On a day when so many others set PBs, I missed the bus. Tried to follow MPHaz, Podrunner, Roland, Sue Kelly and co, but gradually slipped off the back and faded after the turnaround, only picking it up in the last kilometre when MikeF and Overthehill went past as I was trying to save the sub 41 and the three of us raced it in.

Splits:

4.05 (a bad sign: felt like hard work)
3.58
4.04
4.02
4.26 (halfway 20.37)
4.09
4.08
4.09
4.13
3.42 (41.00 by my watch, 41.03 officially)

Felt quite gutted afterwards.

Better luck at Homebush perhaps.

Foggy morning, quite cold, probably about 5 degrees.

SUNDAY 5/6/05, 6AM, 30K (2.35, 5.08min/km), WEEKLY TOTAL 113.5K, 4 HOURS SLEEP

Another cold morning, a hilly 30.2K course in the northern suburbs. Started with the 6.20 group but gradually slipped off the back and ended up going round pretty much all the way with Barry, Dawn and MPHaz. Felt quite ordinary at the start but gradually got better and was moving reasonably well by the end. Not a great run, not bad either. Pace was okay given terrain and that I was backing up from the 10K race.

WEEKLY TOTAL 113.5K

Some good numbers but not the consistent pacing in workouts that I was producing a few weeks ago and a disappointing 10K; also didn't feel too sharp on the Sunday run.

Perhaps some delayed fatigue from the rogaine. Perhaps something else. The recent 10K results of Vat and I correspond strongly to the times we produce in the Bay 5K Challenge the week before; all this week I was dubious about my prospects of running under 40 in the 10K after my poor 5K the previous Saturday, but everyone else seemed to think I had a chance, especially after Thursday morning's session. But the first kilometre (4.05) of last Saturday's 10K felt like hard work, which was not a good sign; last month I ran a 3.58 for the first kilometre and it felt comfortable, then I followed on to a 40.25.

High volume week this week. Could be tricky given current workload.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stu Mac said...

Bad luck with the time on Sat, I would suspect that the 10k distance is not what you were priming yourself for and therefore you didn't freshen for it. But following up with 30k is the bigger picture for you.

7:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home