Monday, May 30, 2005

May 5K Challenge, etc.

SATURDAY 28/5/05, 6.30AM, 17K, WEEK TO DATE 67K, 5 HOURS SLEEP
 
Had high hopes for this one- recent running indicated a sub 19.30 was on the cards, as a stepping stone to a sub 40 10K next week. However, I continued my trent of the last week or so of sleeping through my alarm (more on that later) and waking at 6.10am, rather than the usual 5.30. Meant I had to very hurriedly get ready and head out the door for my 6K warmup run to the start, during which I felt pretty damned ordinary. Cold morning, 4 C at my place- wore long tights for the first time this year, with a coolmax t shirt. About 8 C at the start itself by the water.
 
I was running late, arriving at the start just as Action was calling 10 seconds to the start of the 20 minute wave, so I basically turned around and ran straight back with no break.
 
I was breathing hard in the first K, which is not a good sign. Splits were
 
3.54
3.59
3.59
4.01
3.55
for a 19.50 finish. Then I ran home for a 17K morning. Went back to bed for a couple of hours. I was going to stop by Emu Plains (en route to a dinner in the mountains that night) for the West Metropolitan 10K CC race that afternoon, but CBF.
 
SUNDAY 29/5/05, 8PM, 6K (29.55, 4.54min/km), WEEKLY TOTAL 72K, 8 HOURS SLEEP
 
No long run- no motivation, slept in a bit instead. Had some other things to do during the day, so finally ended up doing a token 6.1K after dinner, during which I didn't feel particularly sharp. Both soleus and lower back still a bit troublesome. Pretty cool weather, about 9 degrees. Ate far too much today as well.
 
WEEKLY TOTAL 72K
 
This was a recovery week from the rogaine, but the mileage is still right down on where I thought it would be- should have been about 100K. I seemed to recover from the rogaine quickly and be in good form by the end of the working week, with running feeling very easy, but died in the arse on the weekend. There are a few indicators that have me bothered a bit...
 
1. The fact that I've been unable to get up and run before work in almost two weeks. Especially with the change of job- the more I can do running outside office hours the better. Missed my alarm again today.
 
2. The 5K. Not the best preparation of course, but I was surprised to find myself breathing hard in the opening kilometre- a 3.54. At the North Head 10K at the start of the month, I opened with a 3.58 and did a 3.59 at halfway. Both felt a lot easier than this 3.54- I didn't breathe hard in that 10K till the last kilometre, which was a 3.45.
 
They might not be anything of themselves, but there's a trend there which is not positive. Suppose I'll found out more this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home