Monday, April 04, 2005

Solid Weekend.

FRIDAY 1/4/05, 6.30PM- 6K (32.46)- WEEK TO DATE 66.5K

Was feeling a bit wanky and had the Striders 10K the next day, so after work I got out of the office and trotted along Talavera Rd to Waterloo Parka nd back. Started off pretty slowly but picked it up on the way back (having warmed up) to average 5.22min/km.

SATURDAY 2/4/05, 7AM- 11K (1K warmup plus 10K race in 42.50)- WEEK TO DATE 76.5K

Starting to detect a trend. This is the second consecutive time I've run an ultra, then two 10Ks in the weeks afterwards and found the first one was the quickest. At the SMC 10K the week after Six Foot Track I clocked 42.21, but this time did 42.50. I'd had a fairly solid week before this race, so no real surprise....

Perhaps when I say "the second week of recovery is the worst" it actually has a ring of truth to it.....

I got caught in the crowd at the start and found myself veering onto grass and off kerbsides to try to escape the crush. Went through the first kilometre in something really slow, like 4.40. I never got a rhythm going- I can see why this course is the slowest of the Striders 10Ks (I'd not raced this variant of the Domain before).

Lane Cove might have more total up and down, but it's in the form of a few long hills, whereas this one is full of little ups and downs and it's hard to get any rhythm going. I only felt able to stretch out in the last 300m or so!

I ran shoulder to shoulder with Spud from about 2K to 7K before he opened up a few seconds gap on me which remained constant to the end. In 2005 races Spud and I are 2-all- I was ahead at the LCNP 10K and 6FT, he was ahead at the Equaliser and today. I saw Horrie a couple of times but could hear him quite a bit as his GPS beeped somewhere behind me- I actually commeted to Spud at one point about the "Timex runner" that was shadowing us.

After the race, breakfast at Boy Charlton was the order of the day.....

SUNDAY 3/4/05, 6.20AM- 33K- WEEK TO DATE 109.5K

Ran the Mosman STaR, my first for a while. I've lost a fair bit of strength in the last few weeks, which is something the STaRs will show up, especially the hilly ones. I am not very strong on hills at all right now. It was a warm day- high 20s by the finish. The official distance of this course is 31K but I gained a couple of "bonus Ks" via creative navigation, in around 2.50 or so. Started with the 6.20 group and held it with Fats and a couple of others till Mosman, when I got dropped climbing out of the cove there.

SUNDAY 3/4/05, 4.45PM- 12K- TOTAL FOR THE WEEK 121.5K

I went up to Hornsby, ran from the Station to the trailhead of the Quarry Track, and ran two reps of the Stewart Ave trailhead (roundtrips took 22 and 23 minutes) and back to give myself renewed familairity with the trail, as I'll be here on a fairly regular basis during the year. Still hot- almost 30 degrees- most unseasonable for this time of year.

Not surprisingly my legs felt pretty tired and a bit achy at first but once I warmed up they weren't too bad.

Biggest week this year. Feeling a bit creaky and the lack of sharpness is noticed. I'll get used to it in a few weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Horrie said...

I had fun chasing you on Saturday G Man. Unfortunately, I wasn't the Timex runner shadowing you as I didn't wear my GPS on Saturday. Must have been somebody else.

4:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home