Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Six Foot Track 2005.

SATURDAY 12/3/05, 8.05AM- 45K

Full report later, but here is the summary I placed on CR. Not a bad run, not a good run....


Six Foot Track number 8 down.... no matter how many times I do this race, it never fails to beat the shit out of me. Quite the mental challenge trying to pick the puzzle of the fast 6FT. I manged to fall a few seconds short of my PB (4.50) in a somewhat ugly-feeling performance.

I'd spoken quietly to four or five people before the race about my plans to run 4.40 this year. I'd not run over 25km since early December (Coast-Kosci) or a week over 90K in that time but had years of ultras and mileage in the legs so it didn't seem likely to be a problem and I hoped my recent focus on speedwork would prove to my advantage.

On the day I never actually felt I was running well. Had a great start- hit the sign at the bottom of Nellies Glen in 12 minutes, having never got there quicker than 18 minutes before. This translated to a 1.24 at the River, having never gotten there faster than 1.31 before. From the bottom of Nellies to the top of Pinnacle Hill we were running through fog- very pleasant, although it was soon burnt off by the usual March heat.

All the way down to the river I was telling whoever was with me (RMC for a while, and others included Spud, Coaster, Barry Rutter and Steve Bodnar) that I didn't feel too great and wanted to be conservative.

As a result, I walked almost all of Mini Mini Saddle (except for the flat stretch through the Cattle Yards) yet still caught a lot of people on this hill- Barry, Steve, Phil Hugill, Jim Cryer, O Runner, a wonky-looking MPHaz and others. Hit the Alum Creek Reserve in 2.10, a little behind my time from my PB year(2.08 in 2002) and caught Tim Austin.

Still wasn't feeling too good so walked almost all of Pluvi, dumping Tim, passing Vat_man (big surprise) and Sawdust and catching Spud, hitting the Pluvi aid station in 2.48 (2.51 in 2002- by contrast I ran almost all of Mini Mini and about half of Pluvi that year). I told Spud the 4.40 was still on and we set out to run all of Black Range. Even an easy jog would be enough to make up time.

At about the 29K point I hit a bad patch, feeling flat and with cramps threatening. I let Spud go, stopped, had a leak, then started walking. Sawdust came past while I was walking. I drank some water at the next aid station (felt a bit too queasy for anything else) and started to feel better. At 32K I started running again and ran all the way to Deviation (3.50 vs 3.39 in 2002- lost a quarter of an hour while I was in my funk).

Caught Mohammed between Deviation and Caves Rd crossing, he cramping and looking in real trouble. My legs still felt sensitive and a cramp threatened whenever I took a rough step but doing the maths it seemed a PB was possible still- very marginal, there would be a few seconds in it.

A big surprise was passing Blue Dog just before Caves Rd, also cramping. I urged him to come with me if he could and hit the crossing in 4.11 (vs 4.06 in 2002). Ran almost all the way to Binda Cabins, passing Sawdust back, and arrived at that aid station just as Spud was leaving it.

I stalked the Irishman for the next K or so and ran up to his shoulder just before the last big downhill. 4.50 seemed out of reach but 4.52 was still feasible. I told him to come with me and bombed the last 3K downhill in 11 minutes- unfortunately (for him) dropping Spud in the process. Hit the sealed section opposite Carlotta Arch and my legs screamed with cramp, but after a few staggering steps they snapped out of it and I was able to run under the banner in 4.51, about 40 seconds short of my PB.

had to sit down for about 20 minutes, seeing Blue Dog and others come in and digesting Emma Murray's amazing course record (and who was the first to nominate her as a contender on CR? Me! ), Greeny's win and the fact that, unknown to me, I'd missed nailing Action by only a few seconds.

There were some other gutsy and sterling performances today, most of them already mentioned. A big thumbs up to Kevin and co, Uncle Dave for his portage skills and loaning me use of his floor, Miss Skarmel (chauffeur extraordinaire, who comitted to 6FT next year in front of witnesses) and the dinner crowd last night.

Given I never really felt "on" and did so much walking I suppose 4.51 was okay, but I'm still getting over that missed 15 minutes on Black Range. Not sure why that happened to me, but it cost me a sub 4.40.

Although given I beat Sue Kelly (fantastic run which no one picked) at the February Striders 10K, should I shoot for 4.15 next year....? Not likely!

Well done all. Full report to follow.


MONDAY 14/3/05, 6.15PM- 6K

Shuffled from the office to the bottom of Scribbly in LCNP and back in 34 minutes. Calf muscles really not happy. Saw Glenn Guzzo running the other way at very high speed.

TUESDAY 15/3/05, 1PM- 8K

Ran from the office to Dunbar, 2.5K barefoot on the grass there, back to the office, in 28 C heat. Tried to jog it slowly but this ended up being 5.04min/km (!) and I really battled hard- calf muscles felt better but overall I felt tired at an endocrinal level.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aki said...

Too bad about missing passing Action. The cramps must have been hellish. Good luck for your recovery.

10:55 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

That was certainly one day that you didn't suck G Man. A top run just missing your PB. I knew by the way you were keeping quiet about predictions that you were charged and stated on chat last week that you were ready to go sub 5. Congratulations Sean and see you on Friday for a well earned beer.

11:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home