Sunday, March 06, 2005

Mt Bartle Frere.

SATURDAY 5/3/05, 9.30AM- 14K

No ordinary 14K here. The objective was to climb Mt Bartle Frere, at 1622M ASL Queensland's highest peak, from the Joespehine Falls trailhead. Given the trailhead is 40m ASL, this makes it the second highest amount of vertical you can fit in a mountain walk in Australia, surpassed only by the 1700m climb from Geehi to Kosciuszko via Hannels Spur (Australia's only "vertical mile" ascent).

I set off with full length coolmax shirt and pants to guard against stinging trees and other nasties, figuring it would take 8 hours to do the round trip. To my consternation after about a mile's hiking through steamy rainforest I found I had company- leeches, and I'd forgotten to bring salt. Swarming all over my feet and up the legs of my pants.

I tried to forget them as I made my way over the tangle of tree roots (treacherously slippery) that they called a trail. It was well marked- orange tapes and paint markers were numerous- but just damned slow going.

The Bellenden Ker Range climbs directly west of the Bruce Highway, rising directly from the coastal plain, and generates its own weather, being wreathed in cloud most of the time. As I climbed higher I encountered mist, then as I climbed above the treeline into the summit boulder fields at about 1400m ASL I found visibility was down to a couple of metres and hail was pelting down. After some slow progress I decided to turn around at 1470m ASL as the weather was getting worse and traversing exposed, wet rocks in such conditions didn't seem safe or fun to me. A fall would have been disaster. Not a hard decision to make.

As I descended visibility actually got worse and rain intensified, which justified my choice to me- the weather was closing in. I fell a few times on the descent on wet tree roots, but my big worry now was that after every creek crossing, the water squeezing from my shoes was bright red- blood from leech bites.

After 7 1/4 hours I returned to where I started from, got hold of a salt shaker and removed over 25 leeches from my feet and lower legs. Today I look like I have some skin disease from all the bites, especially as they are covered in betadine to prevent infection. But, I'll still run tonight once it cools.

I still got in over 1400m vertical gain and descent, so good 6FT training even if I didn't make the summit. This is a considerably more difficult climb than, say, Mt Bogong of which many of you are familiar- the vertical gain is greater (I did more vertical on Bartle Frere without reaching the summit than you would if you did the entirety of Mt Bogong), the footing is far more treacherous, the weather is poor (heat AND zero visibility in the one day) and Bogong doesn't have that many leeches.

Doubt I'd try it again, didn't have much fun. But good to cop the odd lesson in humility from the mountains.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bennyr said...

You amaze me, Mr G. Hope your legs are OK.

8:48 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

We pay those leeches good money to tackle the invaders.

Great to hear you are having fun in our warm country.

Gee Mister G, 7 1/4 hrs to do 14km you really are slow!!

Seriously, hope you are getting in some relaxing time as well and resting up for your big run in a couple of weeks. You might be a blue boy but we will still be cheering for you.

11:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly know all about all those leeches on Bartle Frere, i see no mention of cassowaries trust me they are the things to look out for (stood there eyeballing one for about ten minutes till it dawned on me that they aren't actually like dogs and possibly backing off may be the only way i'd get past and back to the car !) . Have made it to the top once and i reckon once was quite enough (visibility is always an issue there i reckon !).
Off hand took around 12 hours return when i did it so i know it's a blooody long slog.
We'll have to compare notes post Six Foot - seeya there mate

3:44 pm  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Well its amazing what some people think is fun...

7 + hours for 14km, WOW, I have no understanding on the incline or such, but it must have been bloody hard! And if thats the sort of training you need to do so you can 'race' 6Ft, it looks like I will never be making my debut.

All the best for next weekend.

9:40 am  
Blogger Jen said...

Good luck on Saturday !

9:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home