Thursday, December 23, 2004

Still Slow.

THURSDAY MORNING, 23/12/04- 6K

Had a pretty rough night's sleep so slept through my alarm. Therefore I wasn't able to come into work early to run in LCNP, so I had to run to work from West Ryde again.

Yesterday evening I was noticeably limping from the blisters I'd re opened on my right foot, so this morning I applied lots of tape and two thick pairs of socks and the pain was bearable.

Physically I didn't feel as bad as yesterday but still not going anywhere on the hills, so still suffering from this bout of endocrinal depletion. It will pass.

As you may have gathered by now, I am not a fan of "complete rest" days. When I was training for Western States I usually did >50K on Sundays and had hills on Tuesdays, so I experimented with my Monday regime to see what gave the best recovery. A complete day off on Monday meant I still felt rough on Tuesdays and had a bad hill session. A longish run (>16K) or two runs on Monday produced the same result. If I did one short run (5-10K) on Monday I'd feel sluggish during that run, but would usually result in me being fresh on Tuesdays and having a good hill session. So I definitely prefer active recovery, in monderation, to having days completely off.

Another uncomfortably humid but not particularly hot day- 20 C and 88% humidity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clairie said...

Great insight there Mr. G.
I also prefer the short jog to a full rest day.
All my running injuries I can put down to going hard then resting totally (ie few days off after a race).
Next year I will be sure to keep running but drop distance and intensity to maintain an injury free body :)
Running hard in some races may still give me some niggles but at least I know that not all niggles need rest - some need to be 'worked' out of the system.
Merry Christmas Blister G.

12:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home