Monday, December 20, 2004

C2K Aftermath, including SMC.

No running for a few days to let my poor feet begin mending.

FRIDAY 17/12/04, Afternoon

Did 40 minutes in Lane Cove National Park at lunch. Felt reasonable. A bit tired. Feet not too bad.

SATURDAY 18/12/04, Morning

Did 70 minutes on the Shaws Ridge Firetrail. Sublime. This used to be one of my usual routes when I was training for my first Six Foot Track- I'd run this hilly loop several times. Haven't run it for about four years. Nostalgic- it goes through a rare stand of temperate rainforest including Blue Gum trees, then climbs steeply to the top of a ridge and loops back to the start. Felt a little tired but okay.

SUNDAY 19/12/04, Morning

SMC 10K.

In the car this morning I joked to JD and Vat that I'd be rapt if I ran under 50 minutes for the 10K. I'd gotten out for a 40 minute shuffle at lunch on Friday and did 70 minutes on a hilly (and sublime) Blue Mountains firetrail on Saturday and felt reasonable. I wanted to run the SMC to guage my recovery and also for a bit of social interaction with the usual CR/Strider mafia.

From the start I settled into low 4.20s min/km and just clicked along under the harsh sunlight swapping encouragement and friendly abuse with fellow CRs and Striders. Just before the turnaround Uncle Dave came back the other way with Action and Vespa not far behind. I gave them the thumbs up, and Vespa looked like she was cruising as she gave me a smile and a cheery wave; Action was baring his teeth and looked like he was either about to run through a brick wall or curl up and die, or perhaps both. I made the turnaround in about 21.55.

On the way back I tried to up the pace a few times without much success- the main reminder that I'd done something big the previous weekend was that I seemed to lack an "extra gear" to shift into and hence was just locked into low 4.20s. About a mile from the end I realised the CR-cap-wearing Strider about four runners ahead was O Runner; again I tried to shift gears and catch him but it wasn't there. He was gradually coming back towards me but in frustration I realised I was going to run out of room, and finished 3 seconds behind. Pity it wasn't an 11km race.

Still I was pretty happy under the circumstances. I seemed to have pretty good form the whole way. Had a good long chat to Ray at the finish line about marathon training (the first of many such chats I suspect) then went for a shower, then hung around for a while longer, still chatting, before Vat, JD and I headed on our way.

MONDAY 20/12/04

Ran to work- 6km, so slowly I was travelling backwards in time. But recovery is coming along nicely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home