Sunday, December 05, 2004

Central Coast Half Marathon.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON, 4/12/04

No time for anything fancy and was feeling a little tired on yesterday's run, so with the Half on Sunday in mind I just did 6km at around 5min/km, with backpack.

SUNDAY MORNING, 5/12/04

The Central Coast Half is an out and back on bike paths by the water's edge at The Entrance.

Vat had offered to tow me through in under 90 minutes, which my 5K last weekend had suggested was vaguely possible.

We duly got to about 7k or so right on the pace, but I was breathing pretty hard and started to gradually drop off. Got to 10K in about 43 flat (fourth or fifth quickest 10K ever) but I was already wheezing to a stop, and in the last 5K completely folded and came in with a 97.

My legs felt fine the entire time and afterwards they weren't stiff or sore at all. I held form to the end- I was "stepping over my ankle" all the way, just wasn't moving very fast. This tells me that legspeed and strength were okay but I was lacking the high-end aerobic work required- the heart and lungs just weren't up to sub 90 pace. I suspect that if I'd spend the last 7 or 8 Tuesdays doing something like 3 x 2K or 2 x 3K reps rather than hills, we'd have had a different outcome today.

Oh well, c'est la vie. I know what I need to do, and my focus for the last couple of months has been improving my form and legspeed, which has definitely worked- not training for a Half.

Hit the pool afterwards for recovery- swam 1km in about 25 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Well done on the half marathon result - even though you thought you could do faster. What's it like running these distances in the Aussie heat? Got that to look forward to when we move over from London next year.

12:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home