Monday, November 08, 2004

Canberra Two Peaks 26K.

SUNDAY

It was a crisp 5 degrees with 97% humidity at the start, rising to 12 by the finish.I finished in 2.18 for what the GPS measured as 25.65km, although I suspect that the short distance is more due to the GPS than the organisers.

The surface is a mixture of rocky and smooth singletracks, firetrails, bridle paths and a little bitumen added in. I am seriously envious of Canberrans and the great trails and mountains they have right in their suburbs, plus the excellent sporting scene down there. Two major climbs up the two peaks plus a lesser ascent to Majura Saddle and plenty of rolling terrain.

I started near the back of the pack and moved up through the field as the event went on. Walked a bit of the Majura ascent, climbing into fog at the summit, and when I hit the pine plantations after negotiating the descent along the fenceline, concentrated on running down the competitors in front of me. Felt a bit wanky going up Ainslie so decided to walk a bit of that, then bombed down the firetrail off the summit road. Hit the bridle paths for the last 5km and could feel I was losing form, but tried to hold on for a sub 2.20. Crossed the finish feeling utterly buggered- had to sit down at the line for a few moments.

Emma Murray broke the women's course record with a sub 2 hour only a few weeks after being first woman at Brindabella. With her rogaining background she'll be an excellent ultrarunner- very strong. It'll be interesting if she turns up at 6FT next year.

Phibes had an excellent run with a 1.57 and IDW ran 2.09. I was pleased to finish closer to them, relatively, than I did at 6FT this year. I don't think anyone passed me after the start that I didn't catch later on, but that's to be expected if you start at the back....

I repeat- I seriously envy Canberrans for your endurance sport culture and environment.

MONDAY

Ran from Rhodes, about 50 minutes. Felt reasonable once I got going. Sore lower back however, which I often notice in races with lots of climbing- the lower back is the "fulcrum" for the "lever" of the legs. Will gym tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home