Thursday, March 01, 2007

55K Cycle.

Shogun has started riding to and from his digs at Warrimoo to his work down near Liverpool a few times a week. Arranged to meet him at the top of Mitchells Pass this morning so I could tag along on the ride for part of the way.

However, in the pre dawn darkness at 5.50am, an impenetrable fog had descended, so much that I was creeping along to Mitchells at such a slow rate that I figured he must surely have left without me.

No... there he was. We descended down Mitchells, onto Russell St, and then onto the M4 with the visibility improving gradually.

I neglected to start my Garmin until I began the return trip, but on the way out I was able to keep up with Shogun no problems- but crossing the on and off ramps of the motorway gave me the heebie-jeebies. A bit bloody hard to glance over your shoulder and distinguish between cars going straight ahead and cars turning left onto the ramp, especially as most don't indicate...

I turned around and left Shogun at Wallgrove Rd, not long after turning onto the M7, and began the return trip, which was a shorter route. We didn't go down Lapstone Hill as, eastbound, there is no verge most of the way- hence we used Mitchells Pass instead. The westbound verge of Lapstone Hill is better though, and shorter.

On the way back my neck, wrists and arse really started to ache, to the point where I WELCOMED the arrival of an off ramp as it gave me a chance to stop for traffic and have a stretch....

Had to walk the bike part of the way up Lapstone Hill- my quads just aren't adapted to road bike gearing yet. Averaged a tick over 30km/h for the 21K stretch from Wallgrove Rd to Russell St though, according to Mr Garmin.

Got home just after 8am with 55K of riding in the legs. Legs felt fine, wrists and neck still sore some hours later.

Route is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home