Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sekrit Training....

TUESDAY 6/2/07, 7AM, 45K, WEEK TO DATE 56K, 5 HOURS SLEEP, SHOES ASICS 1120

I set off from a cool, misty Katoomba just after 7am Tuesday. 15 degrees, light drizzle, marvellous mountain weather, going to run the full Six Foot Track at easy pace.

I set off with a singlet, shorts, cap, Asics 1120s, padded gloves, two 600m handbottles, 2 litre Nathan pack, half a dozen fruit bars and an Up'n'Go breakfast shake.

I took it very easy to the river- found the footing quite loose on the approach to the Coxs. Passed the Nellies Glen sign in 14.18, the road in 55 minutes, the river in 1.50. The farms seemed a lot greener than memory told me from the last couple of years- last week's rain no doubt. The view back towards the mountains from Pinnacle Hill was magnificent as always- I turn back and admire the spectacle every time I reach there. Today the clifftops were lost in fog.

Passed some Army dudes with HUGE packs at the Megalong Rd and at the swing bridge, refilled my bottles and ate a couple of fruit bars at the Coxs Campground and walked all the way to the summit of Mini Mini, passing three young blokes hiking the trail near the Cattle Yards. Jogged to the Little River then walked all the way to the summit of the Pluviometer in 3.40 odd. I drank my Up'n'Go here and ate a couple more fruit bars.

Found some footprints in the dirt on Black Range from running shoes and wondered if I was following in the footsteps of Superflake. After passing the Moorara firetrail intersection I reflected I was running in the footsteps of 2P as well! Plus the Dog, and all the other obsessives who were doing big training this year and all set to kick my arse.

As I jogged into Deviation the clouds started to burn off and the sun came out but a cool breeze kept conditions relatively cool. Felt a bit tired over the last 10K or so but the last two fruit bars kept me going. Eventually reached Jenolan in around 6.20 (the Garmin died en route so I missed the exact time).

Thoroughly enjoyed the day- the Great Dividing Range is truly my spiritual home. A little stiff today but in pretty good shape really- spent Tuesday evening and part of Wednesday shifting furniture. The toe was sore but didn't hold me back much. Wonder who's going to get injured next?

1 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

I believe there are a few footprints of mine along Black Range. Nice Sekrit training mate. Glad you are having more good days than bad now. The farm might look even greener after last nights storms up there.

8:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home