Thursday, December 28, 2006

Nepean Lookout- 30K on a Hot Day.

THURSDAY 28/12/06, 11.30AM, 30K, WEEK TO DATE 58K, 6 HOURS SLEEP, ASICS 1100

Thursdays I normally run long. But a couple of factors (Shogun being away and a 9am meeting at the restaurant) meant that I got out the door at 11.30 as the temperature climbed towards 30 degrees, ie fucking hot.

I took my new Nathan HPL 020 hydration pack with a handbottle as well- I was running from home to Nepean Lookout and back, a 30K trip with no water en route (used to be till the National Parks Service shut down the water tanks at the Oaks Picnic Ground) and the pack felt quite comfortable, although it did rub a bit when I took my singlet off. The route crosses Glenbrook Gorge, picks up the firetrail on the other side and climbs steadily towards the Oaks Picnic Ground just after 10K, then follows another, rolling firetrail for 5K to the lookout, turnaround and return.

Was moving quite well out to the lookout, which has a wonderful view of the Nepean River cutting through a high gorge, and did a couple of 5.10/min Ks at around the 20K mark before the heat caught up to me and I did a fair bit of walking after that.

Got to avoid these hot midday runs. Still, some good signs from this run and I haven't done a 30K for a while. Course map here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home