Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Glandular Fever strikes.

After being violently ill late on the night of Monday October 3rd and through the 4th (taking my first sick day from work in memory) I went to the quack's on Wednesday the 5th, who took a blood sample. A few tests later and I know I have Glandular Fever and have had it for at least a month- ie, I raced with it at Glasshouse 100 miler last month, although there's no way to say if or how it affected my performance. I'm amazed I got through the long training weekend on the Great North Walk in reasonable form.

As a result, I have cancelled all race plans for the next two months at least and am limited to "light" training- a run of no more than an hour every second day at most (good thing my GP is a marathoner himself or I'd be even more restricted, I imagine). No speedwork. Having seen a few people come down with GF, I've no desire to risk prolonging the illness for months on end. I'll have another blood test in a couple of weeks. No alcohol in that time either.

This means no Coast-Kosciuszko, no Great North 100 (assuming I wanted to do it), probably no Bogong-Hotham. Hopefully I'll be right in time to get fit for Six Foot Track.

To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. In a year of missed goals, to have my running year ended abruptly cuts like a knife to the guts.

9 Comments:

Blogger Horrie said...

Hang in there G. Take the time to get yourself right and build back up slowly. You are only young and have plenty of time ahead to achieve your goals as long as you look after your health.

8:07 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Bugger. Really sorry to hear that G. Take it easy and look after yourself.

J

9:46 pm  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Bummer. Suddenly you've got a life-style change ahead of you. You'll work it out and make it a productive one. Get well soon.

I'm having a belgian Kriek cherry beer right now. Some things don't change.

10:03 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Man, that's not good :-(

Glad to hear you are doing the right thing and taking it easy.

Get well soon.

10:39 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Geez, go and buy a lottery ticket, fortune surely must rebound shortly.

At least now you know what really happened at Glasshouse, the best prep in the world is not going to be able to counter GF.

Do the right thing and recover properly, plenty of time (and ability) to achieve your goals.

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G unit,

You're still an absolute machine to have done what you did with it, take the doctors advice, it'll be annoying but you'll be back.

Sub 24 at WS100 07 mate.

3:54 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

sorry to hear about the GF - feel better soon!

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G,
Take it easy Sean. I don't know which is worse. No running or no piss !!!

10:21 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

That's not good Sean. Hope you make it back for the '06 6 inch.

3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home