Sunday, February 13, 2005

The Equaliser

SATURDAY 12/2/05, 6PM- 11K

I was up the Blue Mountains today and managed to fit in a run on the Shaws Ridge trail before dinner. Clicked through at 5.15min/km and felt great, never pushed the pace at all- I was under 5min/km until I hit the mile-long big hill at the 5.5K point, where it blew out to 5.30 or so, was reeling that back in at the end. Just a really enjoyable bush run. Was looking forward to the Equaliser.

SUNDAY 13/2/05, 7AM- 14K

The Striders annual "cross country" (ie rocky, hilly bushtrack) 14K race was held on a cool, (17 C) drizzly morning.

Basically the course starts by dropping steeply into a valley, climbs up the other side to a road section, then returns to the bush, descends back into the valley and climbs up and out following the original downhill- sort of a paddlepop shape.

I followed O Runner the whole way with Spud lurking right behind. The three of us were running shoulder to shoulder after the halfway point as we descended into the valley again, but O put about 15-20 seconds into me on the descent and then held that gap all the way to the finish (I could almost reach out and touch him all the way up that friggin' hill!)- my legs were trashed from going hard on the downhills and I couldn't respond as I'd have liked.

I finished in 69.04- I'd been told that sub 70 minutes was a good time for a runner of my speed so I'm reasonably happy with that, but a little narked that O Runner beat me by a few seconds for the third race in as many months.... Spud zoomed up the last hill and did 67-odd. Time-wise not bad, but a few people I beat last week (Spud, Redback, Sue Kelly) finished ahead this week, but then again I beat Rod Lovel, Greg Donovan etc, so maybe not too bad. Could have done a 67 with better pacing and course knowledge, perhaps.

SUNDAY 13/2/05, 4.15PM- 21K

To make up for the fact that there was no STaR today, Vat, Action and I ran a couple of laps of the Bay Run this afternoon. I ran to the Rowers and met the there. 22 C with a mix of cool southerly winds and strong sun. The whole run averaged spot on 5.00min/km but the laps of the Bay would have been low 4.50s. Felt pretty wanky but managed to hold onto the two speedsters. Again, legs really don't like uphills at the moment.

Day off tomorrow, I think. I was buggered when I got home, but a couple of dozes and a big dinner helped.

3 Comments:

Blogger Horrie said...

Well run today G Man. Those people who are telling you a sub 70 is good are right. Last year I ran 70:35 and was pretty knackered. But then again, it was just 2 weeks after Gold Coast. You must be happy with your form at the moment as it is heading in the right direction.

10:46 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

Hi Mister G. You need to update your table on the right. By the sounds of things your mileage has increased from Jan quite a bit.

I would be interested to see what you are doing at the moment.

Great run on Saturday, followed by a decent 21km on Sunday. A weekend full of running...a runners dream.

Make the most of having today off - take your valentine out for dinner :) :) :)

12:18 pm  
Blogger Spud said...

Thanks for the company yesterday Mister G, I was struggling those first few kms and you hauled me along nicely. Good backup at the Bay too mate.

2:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home