Wednesday, February 09, 2005

"It's Doing Us Good, Right?"

WEDNESDAY 9/2/2005, 5.45AM- 14K
 
Hit the sack at an ungodly early hour (9pm) because I was meeting Vat at a stupidly early hour of the morning for long intervals- 3 x 3K. Had to pass on dinner with a friend as a result. Must have been the hottest damn night of the summer- didn't dip below 30 degrees till 8.30pm. However I was woken briefly at 2.30am when a cool change started to come through, nodded off again, and rose again at 4.30.
 
I met Vat at the Drummoyne Rowers, the 0K marker of the Bay 5K, and we jogged to the 1K marker as warmup, with a southerly headwind in our faces. Then we ran hard to the 4K marker, 3 minutes recovery, run back to the 1K marker, 3 minutes recovery, then run to the 4K marker again to complete the session, followed by a slow jog back to the Rowers.
 
It's one of Ray's sessions. A good way to increase cruising speed, although not as gruelling, I suspect, as his 3 x 5K super session. Anyway Vat and I agreed that the final 3K felt like the pointy end of a 10K race, but our average pace was higher than a 10K. At one point Vat sought to reassure us both with the immortal words, "It's doing us good, right?" My times were 12.27 (4.09min/km), 12.11 (4.04) and 12.15 (4.05). Felt like Iw as moving quite well, although mentally I lost it a bit in the last K of the third rep and my pace slipped from 4.03 to 4.05.
 
21 degrees, 80% humidity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stu Mac said...

WOW, 3x3k, nice session, very interesting & I might keep this one in my memory banks when my track season finishes and I'm looking for a horrible session to work on my 10k time. Well done to you & the Vatman.

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home