Friday, February 11, 2005

Everything Old Is New Again; and Barefoot.

THURSDAY 10/2/2005, 7.15AM- 9.5K
 
Today was just a recovery run so I got up and headed into the office early so I could go for a run while testing my new toy, a secondhand Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS. To add some variety I decided to mix some barefoot running into this particular session.
 
On a very dark and cloudy morning (17 C with intermittent light drizzle) I ran up to Dunbar Field, took my shoes and socks off and did 10 laps of the grass track (ie 4K) barefoot. Quite different to "normal" running- really worked the calves and I seemed to adopt a more upright, high-stepping style. My lower back and stomach muscles were mildly sore afterwards- I assume a result of the change in posture. Feet got beat up too, but that was partly why I wanted to give it a try. And will do so again. The barefoot laps were the quickest segment of the run, overall.
 
Can't comment on the Forerunner much yet- haven't worked out the features. Even the equivalent features to the Timex work in different ways, so I suppose I'll have to relearn everything. Hence, everything old is new again.
 
EDIT: THURSDAY 10/2/2005, 12.30PM
 
Went to the gym at lunch- 5771m on the rower in 30 minutes and 5 x 12 situps with a 10kg weight held to my chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home