Saturday, May 07, 2005

Striders North Head 10K- It's a PB, Baby!

SATURDAY 7/5/05, 7AM, 14K (2K warmup, 10K race, 2K warmdown), WEEK TO DATE 64K

Biiiiiiiig PB- 40.23 vs the old 41.40.

First, mention to the other runners- I believe Beaky won the overall, big PB to Spud, PBs to Fats, Truckie and Miss Skarmel, Vat back ins omething like his old form....

My last two races (West Metropolitan CC and Bay 5K) told me that a sub 41 time was theoretically possible, so I quietly told a few people beforehand of my plan to run 4.05min/km for as long as I could today and see what worked out.

Mild weather- about 19 degrees with a light shower on the way to the race. Parking was impossible, so I only got in about a 2K warmup having had to walk a fair distance to the start.

Found myself running with Spud and a hyperventilating Miss Skarmel after the start, with MPHaz visibible just up ahead. Haz would, maddeningly, stay about the same distance in front of me for the entire race.

I lost Spud and Skarmel after about 2K and started moving through the field, passing a series of people I don't normally race 10K with- Greg Donovan, Charles Coville, Rooster, Superflake, Steve Bodnar.

When I caught Steve and Suzanne Kelly at about the 8K mark, we traded positions a bit before I left them behind in the last kilometre. Strained hard to catch MPHaz but to no avail. Saw the clock and gave myself a bit of a Lleyton salute as I crossed the line with a 77 second PB.

Felt aerobically comfortable almost the whole way- I was waiting for my usual nasty patch to develop between 6 and 8K but it never happened and I was able to bash the last K chasing MPHaz.

Splits:

3.58
4.04 (8.02)
4.07 (12.09)
4.05 (16.14)
3.59 (halfway 20.14)
4.03 (24.17)
4.06 (28.24)
4.06 (32.30- had a minor panic here, read it as 33...)
4.07 (36.38)
3.45 (40.23)

Badly overdue to run a time like this, but hell, I'll take it anyway.....

6 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Awsome time Mister G.
Must have been that 60k training run last week that helped.
Hope you can get that extra 25secs real soon.

5:11 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on a great run today G Man. You were moving really well and I can see you going sub 40 sooner rather than later.

10:09 pm  
Blogger Carolyne said...

Sounds like an excellent run Mr G, evenly paced on the course and a neg split to boot!
Just awesome how you do it after last week, must be the mental toughness!
Cheers

7:46 am  
Blogger Aki said...

Finally, Mister G! Brilliant!

5:58 pm  
Blogger Bennyr said...

Top Stuff Mr G.

Great to see you break that 451 minute barrier in style.

7:28 pm  
Blogger Bennyr said...

Oops, I meant 41 minute.

7:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home