Saturday, April 30, 2005

April 5K Challenge.

SATURDAY 30/4/05, 6.15AM- 24.5K, WEEK TO DATE 116.5K

Got up after 5 hours sleep and shuffled the 6.5K to the start. It seemed to take forever- could barely crack 5.30min/km. After doing intervals yesterday and another run last night that was most underwhelming, I didn't think another sub 20 was likely.

Nevertheless, I lined up with the 20 minute group and stand-in Official Starter Fats sent us on our way. O Runner, MikeF, MPHaz, Redback and a couple of others led the group out and I settled in a few metres behind with Prof and Dave E. Weather was cool but sunny- about 15 degrees at the start.

Surprised to find that my form was suddenly good and I hit 1K in 3.50. Then 2K was a 3.54, the next two were about 4.00 flat. Felt aerobically good but had no top gear to speak of when I tried to pick it up in the last K. Split a 3.57 to finish in 19.43, equal to my PB and a complete surprise.

My previous 19.43 was set back in November when I was doing relatively low volume but lots of speedwork. However when I started this morning I'd already done over 100K for the week. Raw speed may be non existent but aerobically I'm in quite good shape. Given the quick cross country race I did a couple of weeks ago, and today's result, I'm feeling good about the Striders 10K next week.

Ran back to the start and enjoyed some fantastic pancakes courtesy of Bernie and Blue Dog. After standing around yakking for a hour or more, I ran back around the eastern side of the Bay with Queen Bee and then home for a total of 24.5K for the morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice!

Look forward to hearing about a PB at the Striders 10K next week!

12:15 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Speedwork is the 'icing on the cake'. Serious (racing) distance runners need a big cake! That is, lot's of distance running. Don't neglect the icing though. That's the fun bit.

12:04 pm  
Blogger Bennyr said...

I thought I overheard you say you'd equalled your PB.

Well done!

7:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home