Sunday, May 15, 2005

Long Run- North Head STaR

SUNDAY 15/5/04, 6AM, 30K, WEEK TO DATE 143K, 3 HOURS SLEEP

Not a good night's sleep as you can see. To Clontarf on a cold morning for another 30K with the Sydney Striders through Clontarf, Manly, Queenscliff, Manly Dam, Balgowlah.

Felt fairly ordinary at the start- combination of lack of sleep and two hard days beforehand. My left soleus was still sore. Found myself trotting along at 5min/km with Spud, MPHaz and Redback. Despite the cold, we didn't stop for water till about 17K, which was probably a mistake. On the way back towards Manly Dam at around the half marathon mark MPHaz (who was feeling worse than me) and I stopped for another water stop and the other two went on ahead.

My soleus was feeling worse and Haz walked a couple of times. I walked with him the first time, but the second time he waved me on ahead. I slowly jogged back to Clontarf for a total time of 2.40 and a couple of cans of Solo.

The STaRs are not exactly the best place to practice running a fast or consistent pace- given they are always hilly and mix up different surfaces- but excellent for building strength. I just wasn't feeling sharp today, although we were clicking along at decent pace for the first 20K or so, after that I lost some interest and died a bit too. Hard days and lack of sleep don't combine very well.

Was going to run again in the arvo to bump my total up to 100 miles but given I have a 24HR rogaine next weekend I figured a 90 minute sleep in the afternoon would be more productive.

WEEKLY TOTAL 143K

Not quite where I wanted it to be, given work got in the way of a couple of runs. Still did decent quality and 143km is not bad.

The last few weeks have been pretty hard training. I've done big volume before of course, many times, but usually without this level of speedwork, plus lifting my average run pace to sub 5min/km, both take their toll over the space of weeks. Alternating big and small weeks is the best way to cope with this I think. This will be a low-volume week leading up to the rogaine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home