Saturday, May 14, 2005

East Metropolitan Cross Country.

SATURDAY 14/5/04, 2.30PM, 12K, WEEK TO DATE 107K, 8 HOURS SLEEP

Was going to get up early for a warm up morning run but slept in instead. To St Peters after lunch for a 5K cross country race in Sydney Park, courtesy of Sean Williams and Randwick-Botany club.

After a hurried warm up, we were off on the 2.5K course which, naturally, we would run twice. It was a quite hilly course, mostly grass with a little bike path, gravel and other surfaces mixed in ("Shouldn't bother you, being a trail runner" Sean said with a big grin before the start). I tried to keep Vat in sight and probably went out too quickly, as I died in the second lap (after losing a bit of a duel with Fire Horse) to finish in 20.39. Not a PB course, so a sub 20 was never on the cards- definitely blew my race through bad tactics though, plus I had yesterday's intervals in the legs. Vat and I both recorded the course as about 4.7K on the GPS, but give the course looped back on itself a bit, it might be an accurate 5K- I suspect the truth is in between. Whatever- I wanted a good training hitout, and that's what short races are good for.

Vat and I ran the course again for a 5K warmdown, near the end of which some stupid fucking yappy dog ran between my feet and I took a tumble. Not much damge; lost some bark on both hands and elbows and my right knee.

About 18 degrees, cloudy with a strong south westerly wind.

SATURDAY 14/5/05, 7.30PM, 6K (30.12, 4.57min/km), WEEK TO DATE 113K

My evening plans were cancelled and I wanted to see how the knock to the knee would go at the STaR tomorrow, so I did 6.1K after dinner. The legs were complaining "hey mate, you know you blew up in a race this afternoon?"- left soleus particularly tight- which is why I got to the turnaround in 15.40 odd, but I warmed up and negative split the course. The knee was stiff and a bit sore, but once I warmed up it was okay. I could feel it again once I cooled down however.

About 15 degrees with a south westerly wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home