Friday, August 04, 2006

How I Ran 146K in 6 Hours... Or, the Bush Capital Bush Ultra.

Yes, the Garmin got somewhat confused on Saturday, or else I am in the sort of form that would smoke Kouros, Jurek, Kharitonov etc. Sigh.

SATURDAY 29/7/06, 8.30AM, 60K, WEEK TO DATE 81.5K, 7 HOURS SLEEP, SHOES ASICS 1100

Stayed in the Canberra YHA on Friday night and wandered down on Saturday morning to see Mr Every munching on breakfast, so we gave him a lift to the start, arriving about 8.10am.

Some consternation when I found out the drop bags had gone 20 minutes beforehand. Mel agreed to meet me with an Up and Go at Horsepark Drive on the way out and back, and hopefully this would be enough. Surprisingly warm day for a Canberra winter morning- wore tritop and shorts the whole way with no discomfort.

The course is more or less out and back. From Campbell High School the course follows 4WD tracks and bridle trails around the east side of Mt Ainslie, crosses the saddle between Mt Ainslie and Mt Majura and follows more bridle trail around the west side of Majura. Then under Northbourne Avenue and into Nature Reserves at the very northern tip of the ACT, then turn around at 33.5K and return, with a shortened leg back around Ainslie for 60K of steady undulations. A curious mix of pleasant horse trails and some pretty desolate running through dry grass paddocks.

The plan was to go out very easy and come home hard for a 5.45ish run on even splits, and I had that covered till about the 48K point, only 5 minutes behind Mr Every. There were two start times- 7.30 and 8.30- and I think only Mr Every, Mick Corlis and I took the 8.30 start, which meant that from the beginning I had marathoners, relay runners, 25K runners etc zipping past, which made pacing a bit tricky, especially as my Garmin was giving me bizarre readings and couldn't rely on it. After the first few Ks I made a point of walking a bit to bring the pace back under control and hoped I hadn't done too much damage.

With 12K to go lack of food and maybe those early Ks came back to bite me and I had to start walking a lot more, dropping from 5.45 pace to a very ugly 6.11 finish in those last 12Ks... 10th of 17 runners.

Mel and I drove to Tumbarumba that night.

1 Comments:

Blogger speedygeoff said...

146k! Gee I should have run that instead of the 16k, I could have had the next ten days off.

9:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home