Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Went and got a Coach... and ran 18K.

TUESDAY 13/6/05, 11AM, 18K (1.35, 5.19min/km), WEEK TO DATE 25.5K, 5 HOURS SLEEP, SHOES: ASICS 1100s

After my less than stellar run at the Striders Lane Cove 10K the other day, it hit home that the first race of the Triple Crown- Glasshouse 100mi- was three months away, I wanted to run well there, but my post-illness "comeback" to proper training was not progressing well and had no real organisation or drive.

So I enlisted the services of Sean "Long Arms" Williams to coach me through the Triple Crown and ultimately to Western States 2007. After much email and phone correspondence and a face to face chat on Saturday, the first fortnight of Sean's program arrived in my inbox this morning. 18K in 90 minutes, with a hard 20 minutes in the middle.

So late this morning I slipped out the door into the winter sunshine, about 12 or 13 degrees. Don't wear a short sleeve t shirt that often in winter up here and I enjoyed the sensation.

I ran down Govett St, up Lovel St, Lurline St to Echo Point (where I bumped into an old running acquaintance, Ross Yates, and friend), then Cliff Drive to Narrowneck and out along the fire trail there to Golden Stairs carpark, and return in 95 odd minutes. Pretty hilly route- turnaround was at 9K, 47 1/2 minutes into the run, so very even splits which was good to see (the return leg is overall uphill, although plenty of elevation change in between). My "hard 20 minutes" started as I passed Landslide Lookout just above the Narrowneck turnoff, and ended when I got back to the same point.

Working hard at the end, but form seemed good. Again, I didn't have much to say on the steeper uphills.

Gmaps Pedometer map of the course is here.

Day 2 of the Sean Williams way coming up tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

You did ask for punishment Mister g. 18ks as a first up with SW is pretty intense. But I guess you only have 3 months so you have to shake some a$%#.

9:14 pm  
Blogger Gnscon said...

Hmm interesting. I'm keen to see how this progresses in terms of what sort of program he would set for an ultra runner.

2:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home