Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Canberra 50K Weekend.

SATURDAY 9/4/05, 4PM- 12K (2K warmup and 10K race)- WEEK TO DATE 101.5K

Did the pre-marathon 10K in hot conditions in 46.59, pacing Clairie to a PB. Felt like I was moving quite well after the drive from Sydney. Pacing wa sa bit uneven.

SUNDAY 10/4/05, 7AM- 50K (4.30)- WEEKLY TOTAL 151.5K

12 C at the start, rising to 27 C by the finish.

For my first road marathon in three years I more or less did just what I set out to do. I wanted to run 4.30 for the 50K with a split of about 3.50 for the 'thon en route- the idea being a long training run at steady pace which wasn't run at serious race pace- I wanted to run it easy enough that I could back up in a day or two and resume normal training.

Ran with Spud for about the first 38K, and along the way our bus included Truckie, Tim and one or two others. The nature of the course meant we saw those ahead of and behind us several times, so I employed the "reverse psychology" form of words of encouragements to my fellow CRs and Striders. Good fun, that aspect.

Aroud 38K, after we came back across Lake Burley Griffin for the last time, I saw that the 4.30 50K was in the bag and my legs were complaining and stride was tightening as a result of recent lack of long road runs, so, bearing in mind that I wanted to run this thing easy, I backed off a little and let Spud go on ahead. I crossed the marathon line in 3.43, then slowly jogged the last 7.8K to cross the 50K finish line in exactly 4.30. Probably did the 'thon a few minutes too fast, but nothing too serious I think.

I found the second loop across the lake was a mental drag- very monotonous- so it might well be three more years before I run another road marathon.

Felt fairly wanky after the finish reclining in the Striders marquee, but I used Tesso's shower and after that felt much better. Spent a few hours in the bar at the Rydges but had to leave early.

TOTAL FOR THE WEEK- 151.5K

Felt this was pretty good. Next week i'll cut back to 90K or so with a bit more speedwork- then the week after that bump the volume up again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

A huge weekend Mister G.
Great run on Saturday as a pacer and the race on Sunday.
You looked to be moving well during the race when I saw you.
Will see you at North Head for the 10k.

8:52 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great running on the weekend Sean. You just seem to get into a rhythm where you can run forever. I am amazed at how you do it. I loved your reverse psychology comments during the marathon. It certainly broke up the monotony of the same tedious comments that come your way. You sure are a funny bastard.

9:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home