Sunday, March 25, 2007

Wow, It's Been Really Fucking Hot and Humid Lately....

Sorry Spud, just thought I'd play copycat.

Interesting days.

The stomach issue I've mentioned of late led me to a consulation on Friday which more or less told me what I already suspected- the return of some old Glandular Fever symptoms, to wit, depressed immune system (and resultant bacterial stomach infection) and liver function plus one or two other goodies. Had the sweats all week, shitty sleep, hot and humid conditions bother me (not good when working in a restaurant). I have three bottles of different jungles juices to help deal with the problem.... just the after effects of flogging myself at 6FT and probably some poor dietary choices in the days following.

Funny that it took over 50 marathons and ultras before I really came to appreciate just what sort of toll these events take on the body and mind. These days I read back over my training blog entries for the first seven or eight months of 2005 and wonder how the hell I did it and what was I thinking. Then again, in autumn 2004 when I was training for Leadville (alas, these were pre-blog days) I was really pushing some envelopes- there was a period of 2 or so months where I was doing 170K+ running per week (including 2 runs of 50K+) and 150K or so of cycling. Couldn't do that now, a few too many mental barriers....

Right now, rest from exercise is not really an option with WS three months away. So for the time being I'll be replacing some runs with a lot of cycling and bushwalking as it's less stressful on the body than long runs in hot humid weather- but still good conditioning.

Thursday and Friday nights we walked home from the restaurant- 7K each.

Friday morning I ran to the restaurant to collect the car, which was an 8K run. Today (Saturday) I ran at midday and ended up doing 7K of run/walk- the heat got the better of me, as expected.

Week so far- 73K....

3 Comments:

Blogger Superflake said...

Hope the glandular fever type stuff doesn't hang around too long Mister G. After the Southerly last night I noticed a big drop in the humidity this morning during training. Hope the MTNS were just as good.

12:44 pm  
Blogger Brendan said...

No one has more experience than you. Manage it and hang in there.

10:23 pm  
Blogger undercover brother said...

it'll cool down soon big fella.
(admittedly i've been saying this myself for the last month).
keep truckin.

9:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home