Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kembla Joggers Mountain Race.

SATURDAY 28/10/06, 8AM, 22K (1K warmup, 21K race), WEEK TO DATE 84.5K, 5 HOURS SLEEP

To Bulli for the Kembla Joggers mountain race- Sandon Point to Brokers nose and return. Shogun was good enough to give me a lift down and back.

The course ( http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=512056 ) starts on the beach at the trig point- 13m ASL- and climbs to Brokers Nose (440m ASL) on fire trails- several steep climbs with undulations mixed in. 
There's enough uphill on the way back to ensure you can't just let gravity roll you all the way down.

Wool, windy at the start. I started with the 5 minute group- Sogun assumed the lead and I chatted with Anklestrapper for the first 2K before letting them go and Glenn H assumed a position 10 metres behind me, as he did at the Bulli Pass race at the start of the year.

Felt a bit slow but ran all the way to the turnaround in 1.03.30, passing a few scratch runners en route, including Chub and Amjan. Fats and MPH blew past at speed on the way up.

On the way back I had Glenn right behind me and could see Nikolay ahead, Glenn took a couple of falls and was left behind and I reeled Nikolay in with less than a K to go, coming down Point Rd. He hung on for a couple of hundred metres, then I bashed down a small downhill and was able to shake him. Ran the last K in 4.03 to come in in 1.54.00, 5.26min/km for the whole trip.

Fairly happy with that- Shogun was in the high 1.40s, Fats won in 1.23 or so.

Legs don't feel too bad at present- not a bad hitout.

1 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Geez I'd have loved to do this one - not quite there yet - but soon ;-)

Nice work BTW.

9:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home