Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sunday 18K- Hilly, Humid, Horrible.

SUNDAY 28/10/07, 7AM, 18K, WEEKLY TOTAL 60.5K

Shogun and I set out to run a 22K loop we'd looked at for a while- from ym front door, down Rickard Rd to Long Angle Trail, up to Singles Ridge Rd at Yellow Rock, down to Illingworth Rd and descending an old bridle trail to the notorious Riverside Trail by the Nepean, between Emu Heights and Yarramundi. Long uphill on an old powerline service trail to Mt Riverview, down the Elizabeth St trail to Long Angle again, and out. About half road, half dirt, with a 4K long uphill from the river to Mt Riverview shops. I even had ambitious plans of running 2 laps of this course.

Early on I was battling with the heat and humidity- when we reached Illingworth Rd we could see the whole Nepean Valley below us and 'twas wreathed in mist, and when we dropped down to the Riverside Trail we were in full glare of the sun as well, no shade. The Illingworth bridle trail that drops down to the river seems to be a secret of the local mountain bikers, very rough underfoot but some great views down to the water.

I did a lot of walking from here and Shogun started to get oedema (swelling) in his fingers from dehydration. He eventually took off back to his place to get the car and gave me a lift home from the Mt Riv shops.

Not a good experience. Bloody hilly loop- I'll post map and profile tonight- but I think over summer I'll need to do my longest runs at night....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a tough day out there and I was glad to be done with that loop. Think I will be starting out earlier in the morning and sticking to the trails in the Blue Mt NP from here on.

1:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounded like a tough one, Shogun told me all about it. Don't worry about it, everyone has bad runs every now and then.

8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cracker of a run. One to be kept in mind for the cooler months though.

Sarge

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home